FEMA has announced that they are opening three new disaster recovery centers to aid in recovery efforts following Hurricane Harvey.
Opening today, the centers will operate daily from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the following locations:
Port Lavaca: Calhoun County Public Library, 200 West Mahan St
Disaster Recovery Centers offer in-person support to individuals and businesses in the 39 counties included in the Texas federal disaster declaration for Hurricane Harvey and the subsequent floods.
Recovery specialists from FEMA, U.S. Small Business Administration, as well as the State of Texas and other agencies will be at the centers to talk about assistance and to help anyone who needs guidance in filing an application.
Disaster Recovery Centers are accessible to people with disabilities, and have assistive technology equipment allowing survivors to use amplified telephones, phones that display text, amplified listening devices for people with hearing loss, and magnifiers for people with vision loss.
Video Remote Interpreting is available and in-person sign language is available by request. The centers also have accessible parking, ramps and restrooms.
If possible, homeowners, renters and businesses should register with FEMA before visiting a recovery center. Eligible residents may register for assistance the following ways:
- Online at DisasterAssistance.gov.
- Phone 800-621-3362 (voice, 711/VRS-Video Relay Service) (TTY: 800-462-7585). Multilingual operators are available (press 2 for Spanish).
- Via the FEMA app, available for Apple and Android mobile devices. To download visit: fema.gov/mobile-app.
FEMA is advising applicants to have the following information to aid in the registration process:
- Address of the location where the damage occurred (pre-disaster address).
- Current mailing address.
- Current telephone number.
- Insurance information.
- Total household annual income.
- Routing and account number for checking or savings account (this allows FEMA to directly transfer disaster assistance funds into a bank account).
- A description of disaster-caused damage and losses.
Locations of other recovery centers are online at www.fema.gov/DRC.