CORPUS CHRISTI, TX – Be on the lookout for lots of new work starting this week in Corpus Christi from Calallen, to Uptown, to the Southside.
New – Ayers Street (Contractor)
Beginning Monday, July 17 through July 30, contractors will be working on the new Mission of Mercy project near the corner of Baldwin Boulevard and Ayers Street. As this project is ongoing, southbound Ayers Street will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the intersection.
New – Paul Jones Avenue
Beginning Monday, July 17 through Friday, August 4, weather permitting, contractors will be doing road work on Paul Jones Avenue between Holly Road and Moffet Drive. During this period, Paul Jones Avenue will be closed to traffic. Eastbound Paul Jones Avenue traffic will detour south onto Holly Road, west onto Lexington Road, north onto South Padre Island Drive and back to Paul Jones Avenue.
New – Staples Street (Contractor)
Beginning Monday, July 17 through July 21, contractors will be doing road work on Staples Street near 10th Street and the RTA Station. As this project is ongoing, eastbound Staples Street will be reduced to one lane of traffic the work area.
New – Intersection of Staples Street and Booty Street (Contractor)
On Monday, July 17, AEP contractors will be working at the intersection of Staples Street and Booty Street. During this time, Staples Street and Booty Street will be reduced to one lane of traffic. Flaggers will assist motorists through the work site.
New – Intersection of Wooldridge Road and Cimarron Boulevard (Contractor)
Beginning Tuesday, July 18 and Friday, July 21, weather permitting, contractors will be working inside a manhole at the intersection of Wooldridge Road and Cimarron Boulevard. During this time, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
Northbound Cimarron Boulevard will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the work zone and No Left Turns will be allowed. Traffic will detour north on Cimarron
Boulevard, south on Airline Road, west on Wooldridge Road and back to Cimarron Boulevard.
Southbound Cimarron Boulevard will not be affected.
Eastbound Wooldridge Road will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the intersection.
Westbound Wooldridge Road will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the intersection.
New – Up River Road (Contractor)
Beginning Wednesday, July 19 through Friday, July 21, weather permitting, contractors will be working on Up River Road between Magee Lane and Sharpsburg Road. Up River Road will be narrowed and reduced to one lane of traffic. Flaggers will be on site to guide motorists.
New – Yorktown Boulevard (Bond 2014)
Beginning Thursday, July 20, weather permitting, City contractors are scheduled to start work on phase one of the Yorktown Boulevard project between Everhart Road and Yorkshire Drive. Eastbound traffic will be shifted to the westbound lanes with one lane in each direction. Motorists traveling northbound on Lipes Boulevard will not be allowed to make a left turn onto Yorktown Boulevard. Motorists are reminded of the reduced speed limit to 25 MPH through the work zone.
Southern Minerals Road
Starting Thursday, June 22, Southern Minerals Road is closed to traffic between IH-37 and Up River Road. Motorists needing access to Up River Road from westbound IH-37 will detour onto Goldston Road to Up River Road. Those needing access to IH-37 from Up River Road will detour onto Valero Way to IH-37.
Alameda Street (Bond 2012)
Beginning Friday, June, 9 construction will begin on Alameda Street between Staples Street and Louisiana Avenue. As this project is ongoing, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
Staples Street: Southbound Staples Street traffic will be reduced to one lane approaching the Six Points intersection.
Alameda Street: Traffic on Alameda Street between Six Points and Louisiana Avenue will be shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. All side streets off Alameda Street will remain open to traffic. Northbound traffic approaching the Louisiana Avenue intersection will be reduced to one lane.
Kostoryz Road (Bond 2012)
Eastbound Kostoryz Road traffic is shifted onto the westbound lane with one lane in each direction. Contractors are doing utility work on North Brawner Parkway on the west side of Kostoryz Road. During this period, North Brawner Parkway is closed to traffic and motorists will detour to Ramsey Street, onto South Brawner Parkway to Kostoryz Road. At the same time, Orlando Drive on the west side of Kostoryz Road is closed to traffic and motorists detour onto Bentwood Drive to Norton Street to Kostoryz Road.
Staples Street (Bond 2012)
Staples Street between Comanche Street and Agnes Street is open to traffic with two lanes in each direction. Agnes Street to Morgan Avenue will be reduced to one lane in each direction. In addition, various side streets along this section of Staples Street may be periodically closed or reduced to one lane of traffic. Flaggers will be available when necessary to guide motorists through the work site.
Gollihar Road (Bond 2014)
Gollihar Road between Kostoryz Road and Weber Road will be closed during the first phase of the project. Traffic will detour to South Staples Street and McArdle Road.
Eastbound and westbound Gollihar Road from Marie Street to Staples Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction. Left turns will not be allowed from Northbound Staples Street to Gollihar Road.
Ocean Drive (Bond 2012)
Traffic changes on Ocean Drive from Louisiana Avenue to Morgan Avenue are as follows:
- Traffic will be narrowed to the northbound lanes with one lane in each direction beginning at Louisiana Avenue to Morgan Avenue. Southbound Ocean Drive traffic will be transitioned onto the new pavement at the Morgan Avenue intersection.
- The Ayers Street intersection at Ocean Drive will be closed for about 4 to 6 weeks.
- Northbound traffic will not be allowed to turn left at Del Mar Boulevard, Ayers Street and Elizabeth Street. A dedicated left turn at Morgan Avenue and Buford Street for northbound traffic will remain open.
- Left turns will be allowed for southbound traffic at Elizabeth Street.
- Northbound and southbound Ocean Drive traffic should use Morgan Avenue since the Ayers Street intersection at Ocean Drive will be temporarily closed.
- Southern, Naples, and Cole streets will be restricted to resident traffic only with no through traffic to Ocean Drive. Del Mar Boulevard and Atlantic Street will have intermittent access to Ocean Drive.
- Eastbound traffic on Louisiana will be required to go south on Ocean Drive. If a vehicle wishes to go north on Ocean Drive, then the driver will need to go south and make a U-turn to go back to the north.
- The posted speed limit is 25 MPH through the construction area.
- Pedestrian access will be closed along the southbound lanes between Louisiana Avenue and Morgan Avenue including the sidewalks adjacent to Spohn Hospital. Pedestrian access through the construction zone will be transferred to the newly completed sidewalks along the northbound lanes. Temporary pedestrian access crossing Ocean Drive will remain at the Del Mar Boulevard intersection. Bicyclists are encouraged to find another route.
Lawrence Street between Mesquite Street and Chaparral Street is partially open to traffic and is currently reduced to one lane with the traffic merger beginning between Upper Broadway and Mesquite Street.
Tuloso Road (Bond 2012)
During this phase of the construction, northbound Tuloso Road is closed to traffic between IH-37 and Leopard Street. Northbound Tuloso Road traffic will be detoured onto Suntide Road to IH-37.
Greenwood Drive (Bond 2012)
Greenwood Drive traffic, between Gollihar Road and Horne Road, is shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. All side streets into the residential neighborhoods will remain open to traffic.
Navigation Boulevard (Capital Improvements Program)
Beginning December 21, until completion of this phase of the project, Navigation Boulevard traffic between Up River Road and Leopard Street will be shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. The existing traffic control devices placed by TxDOT at IH-37 access road intersections will remain in place.